Monday, June 8, 2009

Getting In the Mindset

So I'm halfway through with my maternity leave, and have decided it's time to start preparing to go back to work. Six weeks is not enough time to have off, in my opinion, but R and I have had "the talk", and we've (I've) decided that he needs to start sleeping through the night by then. So we'll see if he holds up his end of the bargain.

I've started pumping to have some sort of milk stash for daycare, and already I seem to produce more milk than I was able to pump for E. I have no idea how much is a good "beginner's stash" for a part time job, but more is probably better than not enough, so we'll keep going. A friend of mine told me that she stopped breastfeeding in November, but had enough freezer milk to last until March. That's a lot of milk.

L got me a fancy medela hands free pump ("free" from our insurance co), and it's a lot better than my previous pump. I don't really see myself going "hands free", since I'm not sure what other tasks at work I could do while I'm being sucked dry of milk in my car. But who knows.

We've been talking to E a little bit more about R going to daycare with her, but she's not loving that idea yet. I

And in order to prepare for my return to work, I plan on putting together some freezer meals that I can pull out and pop in the oven. I have a feeling that the transition in the evenings will be quite busy, so making dinner may not happen some nights with a nursing babe and a busy toddler. Any good summer time freezer meals (is that possible?) would be appreciated.

I was dreading the thought of returning to work, but I'm more confident that it'll be okay now that we've had a few weeks under our belt. The bankruptcy of GM and Chrysler have finally hit home at L's company, and so things have been pretty slow, forcing the co. to cut back in a lot of areas. My income certainly doesn't/wouldn't replace L's, but it's a good supplement for extra savings. We're not that nervous (yet), but have just certainly decided to put our extra frugal hats on, just in case.

Anyway, there's a crying kiddo laying next to me, probably begging to be fed (he gained a pound in two weeks, and think he's going through another growth spurt again... yikes!).

8 comments:

Our Journey to Africa said...

Hey sheri!! I have loved all your updates:) Sounds like you have many things underway for getting back to work:) You were mentioning meals--I just went to a recipe exchange and got a lot of new recipes--super easy ones too, so I'll have to give you them:) I know even Jason can cook these, so they're pretty easy:)

He's been doing a lot of cooking lately--poor guy. He's been so amazing--I don't know what I would do without him. I feel like he's taken over household stuff and made my life so much easy the last couple of months:) I'm starting to feel more like myself the last 4 days!! Hooray for me:) The energy is coming back:)

I just have to say this--you are such a great mom--I love hearing about your days with your kiddos and I really have a lot to learn from you:) I'm sure I'll have questions as we go:)

Love you Sheri!! Send my love to all:)

Mommy of Four said...

"Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer" by Susie Martinez, Vanda Howell & Bonnie Garcia. HUGE help! I got mine on amazon for pretty cheap. http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Panic-Dinners-Freezer-Great-Tasting/dp/0800730550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244484954&sr=8-1

Hope this helps.

I miss my niece and new little nephew...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing - I'm really interested in hearing how the transition from mommyhood to workland goes. . . it's something that has been weighing heavy on my mind lately!

Sheri said...

Hi Ann - the recipes would be much appreciated. I mean, if Jason can do it, then it should be a piece of cake, right? :)

Glad to hear the sickness is going away, and that Jason is helping out. The guys in the family are gems. :) I don't know what I would do if L wasn't around to help me.

Thanks for the compliment. I think E might have disagreed with you over the weekend though. Tired Mom with Two Year Old Girl, not such a great combination at times.

Kayla - thanks for the book suggestion. I think you've suggested that before... maybe I need to just buy it this time!

Elizabeth - will keep you posted. It should be interesting!

Mommy of Four said...

You'll love it!!

Unknown said...

I was so confused when you mentioned your mat leave was half over..wondering if I missed something. We have paid mat leave (through the government) for 1 year here. It's such a blessing, I wish more countries did the same.

I'm sure you'll do great in the transition back to work. You seem like a very organized person and a planner. I'm sure all of that will come in handy :)

Now that I'm back to work part time myself I find it helpful to just double the recipe when I'm at home for the afternoon and making our usual dinner. The double portion just goes into the freezer for the afternoons I'm not at home and need to quickly pull something together for meals that day. That way I dont' need to actually set additional time aside to do freezer meals.

I too had the double electric hands free medela for both kids. It made ALL the difference. Hands down the BEST pump out there.

Good luck in the weeks to come - I love reading your updates :)

Sheri said...

Kristi -

Thanks so much for the info. It's good to hear from someone who's been there. A friend of mine who is from Canada also told us about the paid maternity leave... so jealous, so jealous... mine is short and unpaid. Ah well...

I'm not organized, but I'm a bit of a worrier, so that gets my behind in gear.

Thanks for the insight on the meals, too. Do most meals freeze well?

Our Journey to Africa said...

Hey Sheri!!! I'll try to get those recipes to you!!!