Tuesday, May 26, 2009

R's Story

R's birth story is pretty short... and pretty uneventful, but I'll share anyway. :) I had my OB appointment on Friday, and my doctor stated that I wouldn't "last through the weekend". I took it with a grain of salt and prayed that the baby would at least come by Sunday (L's birthday), so that I wouldn't feel the inner dilemma of going into work or not.

Saturday comes. I am feeling fine. In fact, I had been feeling great all week, so my hope of going into labor on the weekend was starting to fade a little for me. It was a rainy day, so going for a long walk was out, so we decided to grab lunch and go to Lowe's (E loves that place) and get some stuff for the house.

We get to lunch and the contractions started pretty much as soon as we sat down. We decided to skip Lowe's just in case it was the real thing (though I was doubtful). We drove home, and by the time we got back, the contractions were pretty close together and were getting intense. I took a bath, which helped a little, but still felt pretty terrible.

L called the hospital and my doc said to come in if they were getting more intense. We then called D, E's daycare worker, who was sweet enough to watch E until my parents arrived. She is so sweet to consider us "family".

On the ride to the hospital, I just kept counting through my contractions (art of distraction perhaps?) and thinking "I can handle anything for a short period of time" and repeating "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".

We got to the hospital at 3:00 (my contractions started at noon), and the nurse checked me, and I had dilated to 6. She asked what my birthing plans were - I said I wanted to try it naturally, and that I wanted the jacuzzi and birthing ball. I was having some pretty uncomfortable back labor, and was a little irritated that they wouldn't let me sit up (they were trying to gauge the baby's heartbeat and had difficulty doing that while I was upright).

Anyway, the doctor arrived shortly afterward, and stated I had dilated to 8. The nurse had started running the bath for me (jacuzzi baths are the best), and then I started feeling the need to push. The pushing was intense and painful, but short (about fifteen minutes) and R was born at 4:02 pm, an hour after we arrived, and four hours after my contractions began.

This was a much more emotional birth for me... and I think it's because I was so aware of everything my body was telling me. I had such a cloudy feeling over me when E was born ( and her birth was still beautiful, and we were blessed with a healthy delivery which is what counts), but just felt outside of myself.... very strange.

I was so nervous of having to get an epidural (and I know many women prefer them... guess it's different for each person), and prayed all the way to the hospital that God would give me the strength to last through whatever pain was coming my way. And He did, and I'm so thankful.

The healing process has been much quicker than with E - probably because I tore naturally and didn't need an episiotomy this time around. Maybe I knew what to expect this time around, so it didn't feel as painful afterward? Not sure. In any case, it's gone quickly, which has been such a blessing since there are two kiddos now.

So... we've been twice blessed - a pretty cool big sister, and an adorable little guy who loves to snuggle. God is good.

5 comments:

Mommy of Four said...

I can only hope my last labor can go that quickly (WITHOUT the previously-needed pitocin, that is). I'm glad you didn't get an episiotomy this time...I meant to ask, but forgot. I'm very anti-slicing :)

Unknown said...

I love birth stories. And this one is so beautiful. Welcome to the world little guy, your life is such a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazing story! I'm so glad it went so quickly for you and that he was born healthy and happy. Best wishes and blessings to you and your new four person family!

knittingma said...

Wow, he was born really quickly! Praise God that everything worked out the way you were hoping it would. And S, he's so super handsome! What a cutie-pie. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog,seriously. I decided this morning that I need to re-read Hosea. thanks for the encouragment to do that.

By the way Rhys was one of my top 5 names before Cohen was born...love it. He's perfect. Congrats!