Saturday, May 16, 2009

Be Still


I love quiet mornings when L and E are still fast asleep, and the only sound I hear is the rain falling on our home. Sometimes it's so easy to fill our home with noise - TV, radio, internet - that we miss the beautiful sounds that God gives us for free. The sound of a the wind in the trees, rain pattering down, the birds singing. These are the moments that truly want to make you stop and "be still".

I really struggle with being still, though it's so peaceful and needed. It seems I'm always rushing for something, filling my day with busy-ness and noise. Why does the silence make me feel as though I need to fill it with meaningless stuff much of the time... whether it be with activity, or drama or sound, etc?

And I know it's so so easy for me to worry, and drowning the anxiousness in activity is easy for me to do. The worry of how the birth will be, and how we're going to handle two children. How E is going to react to having another sibling around. If R is going to be a fussy baby, or will he have difficulties nursing. How will returning to work in six weeks feel like? Will my boss understand that I am not willing to work four full days, even if my workload requires that of me? Can I do both? Are we spiritually ready to lead two children in the way of Christ on a daily basis?

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Those simple words are very encouraging to me, and have brought much peace to me this morning. I'm glad that He's bigger than me, and that His hands are stronger than mine. I don't know how the future will look, but God knows all things and will give me/us the strength to make it through. I often wonder why I doubt the One who has never let me down?

Praise God we're not alone in our struggles or fears or worries.

Praise God that He gives us peace that passes understanding.

And praise God that He graces us with gentle rainy mornings like this to remind us of simple blessings like silence... and strength.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. Somehow our culture has forgotten the benefit of quiet and stillness. I forget and need to be reminded regularly. So thank you. :)

Mommy of Four said...

I just found myself this morning feeling discouraged that I feel like I can never get that "still" time. No matter how early I get up, the sound of me getting up wakes up at LEAST Jadon...and if only him, well...her quickly wakes up the rest. I wish mine would sleep so that I can have that time. I crave it.

Mommy of Four said...

See what happens when you're "still"?! YOU GET A BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!