Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Art of Breathing

The weekend we moved I caught this terrible cold that kept me up at night for nearly a week. I was congested, and couldn't breathe through my nose. I tried vapor rub, nose sprays of various brands... nothing seemed to help.

Well, enter neti pot. I've heard how wonderful this gross little "gadget" was, and was desperate enough to try anything. Now for those of you who don't know about the neti pot goodness, let me let you in a secret: it's amazing. You mix saltwater in the pot, and put the spout in your nose, allowing the water to flow out of your other nostril (while breathing out of your mouth). Yes, my hubby thought I was crazy for wanting one, but hey, he was sleeping fine at night!

I used it a couple times a day, and wow... it really does work. Much better than any cold medicine, and much cheaper, too, since it's a one time investment. If any of struggle with allergies or just can't stand irritating colds, a neti pot might be worth a shot.

Here's a blog that I found regarding the neti pot. Evidently I'm not the only crazy girl out there.

Oh, and by the way, Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Hope you're having a great day!

2 comments:

Mommy of Four said...

I've actually used this for quite awhile. My allergist makes me use it on a regular basis, because I have a sinus infection that never actually goes totally away. I don't use the pot, though, I use the little squirt-bottle one. It works better than the pot, I think, when you are so congested that it just can't get through the nasal passages. Because you can squeeze with as much force as necessary. Although, the forst time I tried that, I felt like I was subsequently blowing out my right eyeball as I squeezed the fluid in :) It was a slightly unpleasant experience :) I also have a powdered steroid he has me mix in when the infection is flaring again...I love the stuff. And I love that I'm not having to ingest a ton of medications that can accumulate in my liver and such over time.

Anonymous said...

I've done a squirt bottle version but have heard much about the Neti pot. I'm sure I'll be needing it again come ragweed season this fall! Glad it worked for you!

And happy mother's day to you!