Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mmmmm....

You know, I ate a lot of tomato soup growing up, but didn't really have it again until last winter, when I made it homemade. Now, though, it seems that we have it once or twice a week - I just can't get enough of this stuff! E was less than thrilled initially, but now she's liking the soup idea (and tries to imitate making soup with her own dishes).

What can I say? I really love it.

It seems especially wonderful since the temperatures outside are ridiculously low. Oh my - it took everything inside of me to bundle us up to go grocery shopping. That wind is pretty crazy. I know it's really cold when E starts demanding her mittens that she typically neglects to keep on for any period of time.

Hopefully spring comes soon.

In other really unrelated topics of life, I'm feeling like my work dilemma is slowly being solved. My boss is being really flexible with me, and is allowing me to be more creative with my hours so that I can do some things from home, or maybe some evenings so L can be home with the kiddos. So, of course, God is working everything out, as always. :) Why do I worry so much?

You'd think I would have learned by now, right? :)

4 comments:

Mommy of Four said...

I was craving tomato soup SO bad yesterday that I made grilled cheese sandwhiches for dinner, just so I could have an excuse to have tomato soup (no one else will touch the stuff except for me). Oh, I LOVE the stuff. I still want more, and if it wasn't only 9:30 in the morning, I'd likely be sucking down the left overs right now :)

Anonymous said...

Yum, tomato soup does sound good! It is a little hard to merit soup here since it's not super cold (it's been getting up to 60 this week), but I may make soup next week just because it's the season for soup! :)

Glad to hear that work is working with you. That can be so stressful!

kristin said...

what a blessing! so glad to hear that work is being so good to you. how great! God is good.

i would love to know how to make tomato soup homemade. the boys aren't super excited about soup yet either, but they are trying it- and i think that is what counts! (caleb loves t.soup!)

Sheri said...

Hi, K!

Here is one recipe that I've used. I don't know where I found it to quote its source.

FRESH TOMATO SOUP w/ Crispy Herb Toasts

8 slices of whole grain baguette, 1/2″ thick
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tsp of chopped fresh oregano
4 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
4 tomoatoes
2 tsp cold pressed olive oil
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1.5 cups low fat milk
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper

Preheat broiled. Arrange baguette slices on the broiler pan and top each slice with a sprinkling of basil, oregano and cheese.Place about 4 inches from the heat source and broil until cheese melts, about 50 seconds. Set aside.

Peel, seed and dice tomatoes. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and paste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and summer, uncovered, until soup thickens, 20-25 minutes.

In a blender of food processor, puree the soup in batches until smooth and return to pan. Stir in milk, salt and pepper and reheat gently. Ladle into individual bowls and serve with toasts.