Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Label Reader

Has anyone ever noticed that High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is everywhere? In everything? Now that E's palate is broadening, I feel like I spend an extra hour in the grocery reading labels. Let's use ketchup, for example. HFCS is in nearly every bottle, even the ones advertised as "all natural" (beware, people - "all natural" often doesn't mean all natural). I contemplated buying the organic for many minutes, but the price was outrageous in my opinion.

So instead, I found a recipe for ketchup that I plan on making after I'm done with this post (am I crazy?). We'll see how it turns out. I guess it wouldn't be that big of a deal, if she didn't eat much ketchup. Now, E's starting to love the stuff (ugh....), so it makes me more nervous about what she's putting in her body. Plus, I'm a little wary of what she eats at daycare, so at home, I try to be sure she gets good food.

As we've been finishing jelly or jam (it seems like that takes forever for us), and as we've collected other glass bottles, I'm saving them for when we make our own, hopefully healthier version.

Anyway, Friends, please read your labels. Most of the time you're not buying "just ketchup" or "just jam", etc, but other ingredients you don't want in your food. Keep your eyes peeled and read your labels - it's really eye opening.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ain't that the truth. I'd love to hear how your ketchup recipe turns out.

I really should start saving my jelly and jam jars and making my own as well. It tastes so much better and it doesn't have fishy ingredients either. Good idea. Thank you for passing it along!

Unknown said...

Great idea. I was looking at my ketchup recipe the other day and wondering if I should do up a batch. I opted out at the time, but you've got me thinking about it again.

I've tagged you on my blog.
Hop on over and take a peek.
http://kristibenson.blogspot.com/2008/08/inquiring-minds-want-to-know.html

Mommy of Four said...

Yeah, and even the all natural stuff? If it's not HFCS, it's just listed as straight sugar. Look at your mouthwash, even!! Saccarin is likely listed as one of the first few ingredients! Why don't you just go swish some coke in your mouth???

But yeah, HFCS is NASTY. And it can have MAJOR negative effects on your health and your weight. Any nutritionist would tell you to run, sprinting in the opposite direction of anything with that in it.

And I get what you mean about the labels. I spend WAY too much time analyzing. Good fats, bad fats, natural sugar, artifical sugar, sodium levels, cholesterol levels, blah blah blah....it gets exhausting.

Anonymous said...

Sheri, I am so glad I found this blog from Krisi's. My blog is getting a facelift where comments will be directed back. I have missed out on so many great sites because I can't track back without them writing the whole address in. I have been reading your blog for the past hour and just signed up for the feeds. We have so many things in common it seems. Talk soon.

Maria Purviance said...

i hate high fructose corn syrup. it's totally no good for you.

knittingma said...

Dude. HFCS is totally in everything, you're right. And sugar. I can't believe how they're both hidden in foods that you'd never expect. Like ketchup. And peanut butter. Yech.