Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Necessity is the Mother of Invention



I am constantly running out of Swiffer pad refills, and it drives me crazy how expensive they are to buy all of the time. For a while I was just using old rags and a bucket to wash the floors, but this got tiring really fast (E did love to help, but she slipped too many times for my comfort).

Today I realized that we were out of them (again), and since it was too much of a hassle to run to the store, I read where some make reusable pads. It worked well enough for me to say bye bye to the $5 or whatever it is to buy the refills. I just used some microfiber towels, folded them in half and sewed it. Voila - pads. Less trash and more money. Yay.

In equally exciting news, I feel like I'm getting ready to go back to school with the list of materials I need to buy for work. Pens. A planner (old one donated to L). A lunch box and a water bottle. And oddly enough, I'm pretty excited about looking for these items, but I used to love the fall of the year and getting my backpack ready for the first day of class. Strange, silly me.

Anyway, back to the daily grind of chores and figuring out dinner, before it's too late to thaw anything. Note to self: pull meat out the night before you need it.

5 comments:

Mommy of Four said...

yeah, you can just throw a towel on it, without any need for sewing, too. Although, I am finding sewing to be good stress therapy for me lately.

Anonymous said...

Good idea with the swiffer pad refills!

As far as the water bottles, I got really excited today when I found these: http://www.camelbak.com/betterbottle/?gclid=CKvAqKn55JQCFQplHgodyUs7Qw. I bought two to help ween Jason off of the ozarka water he seems to be addicted to. They're not as expensive as I expected ($9 w/o the sip top, $18 with the sip top).

kristin said...

if you come down to visit- i'll give you some pads. yeah.. tempting, isn't it? :)

knittingma said...

You are so innovative. Crafty lady. :)

Sharon said...

Great idea for the Swiffer!
I've complained of the same thing lately-and I hate spending the money, too.


You have a nice blog, btw. I LOVE your blog header, btw. :)