Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cloth Wipes


Other than some, most people don't know we use cloth diapers for E, and have since her birth. She seems to have a sensitive bottom, so the cloth is gentler on her skin. We do use disposables when we're out and about - it's easier (in my opinion), and more socially acceptable. I generally don't talk about my cloth diapering experience, unless someone asks. And really, not many people ask. :)

I have noticed, though, that when she does get a rash, the baby wipes I use irritate her skin. I've used all sorts of different brands, but end up using just a washcloth with water. Of course, this means we're out of washcloths by bath time, so something needed to be done. After months of dealing with missing wash cloths off and on, I've just decided to switch over to cloth wipes completely.

So the photo above is one of the wipes I made. After I organize my system a little bit, I may show my set up. I might also adjust the photo for betting lighting, but probably not, so sorry for how dark it is. :)

5 comments:

Mommy of Four said...

I'm planning on going cloth, too. Waiting to be able to afford a super incredibly unheard-of-gentle soap. I used to make my own wipes using bounty paper towels, baby soap, baby oil and water, but I can't use any of the baby soaps we have on D, because she reacts to everything. The girl's skin is a nightmare!

Sheri said...

I've found a couple of solutions that use essential oils, which are more natural for the skin, and have antibacterial qualities.

If that doesn't work, we'll just use water. Definitely trying to stay away from any other paper products, though.

Mommy of Four said...

She does really well with the wipes from Sam's, but I'm finding it inconvenient now that we switched to cloth diapers. When we're trying to clean up a poo mess, we can't just put the used wipes in the diaper anymore and just throw them out with the diaper. Now we have to be near a trash can and throw out the wipes separately. What kind of material do you use to make your wipes? I was going to buy a bunch of micro-fiber terry this weekend...

And what solutions have essential oils & antibacterial properties???

Sheri said...

You can use terry/flannel - a lot of people seemed to use that. I've also just heard of people doing flannel/flannel.

The ones that I made yesterday were flannel/cotton diaper fabric, so pretty gentle on her skin.

jill b said...

I've been moving more and more towards the switch to cloth wipes. It seems like if I'm already doing the laundry, why not toss a few more things in?? :)

Thanks for checking out my blog... I don't update daily or anything but it's my nice little corner of adult space in my child-dominated world! (not that I'm complaining!) :)