Wednesday, June 11, 2008

More Food Talk

In an effort to be a little more healthy and aware of what we are using in/on our bodies (especially E's), we've thought a lot about how we've been effected externally - switching over to stainless steel water bottles/sippy cups, using natural soaps and shampoos, toothpastes and cleaning products. We've done all these things. Yet, when we think about what we ingest internally, well... that's a whole other story.

Now I can't say this scientifically, but I'd venture to say that what we put IN our bodies is more damaging than what we put ON our bodies. Then why do I eat food that isn't good for me, and yet, turn around and buy special shampoos, patting myself on the back for being "healthy" and "green"?

Of course, food is a sensitive issue for me, and for most people. Food can be a terrible addiction and very emotionally driven. Plus some food just tastes sooooo good, right?

Even so, my body is a temple... and I should be treating it as one, inside and out. Especially when I think about E - she wants whatever we eat, and we've been caught more than once with something less than healthy in our hands. Not good.

L is very quick to say that our eating habits have changed so much since we married, and that is so true. We eat more whole foods, more fruits and veggies, less convenience foods, etc. Still, I know that we could do better, and this is all a process.

So my goal for the rest of the year is to eat more whole foods and more raw foods, too, as many enzymes are killed when food hits a temperature of 112 degrees. So bring on the green smoothies, because healthy eating, here we come (again)!

Note: Photo found on flickr.

0 comments: