Thursday, April 10, 2008

Book of the Week

I love to read. I love going into a bookstore and browsing at all of the titles. Or curling up with a new book... or an old one that feels like home. My method is pretty much the same with each purchase: read it quickly first (b/c I can't wait or can't stop) and then go back to savor and dwell on it.

Now if anyone has known me for a long time they know that I am a HUGE Eldredge fan. I love all of his books, but my favorites "Waking from the Dead" and "Captivating" are books that I read a couple times a year. They're so good in fact, that I've convinced two small groups that I've been in to study them. Ah, good stuff.

Well, now you can imagine my excitement (as nerdy as it sounds) to realize that Eldredge had written a new book. The not so great thing about ordering books online (despite free shipping) is the fact that you HAVE to wait for it to come to your house. Of course, the time has passed and the book is now in my hands... ah... new book smell...

Anyway, back to this particular book. :) I'm not extremely far into it, but I can tell you what's been gleaned thus far. This book is exactly about the title - walking with God, and what it means to live in the Spirit (our small group has been talking about this, so it's very relevant to me). What I love so far is how often Eldredge goes before the Lord in prayer - about everything. Start with the smallest things, because as Eldredge points out, it's when we turn to God about the everyday details that we will learn to seek and hear His voice about the larger issues of life.

He goes onto say that we don't pursue joy, even though the "Joy of the Lord is our strength." (Neh. 8:10). Eldredge writes, " We don't like to think about joy much, because it hurts to allow ourselves to feel how much we long for joy, and how seldom it drops by." He writes how we are in the middle of spiritual warfare everyday, and of the verse John 10:10 "The thief comes to steal, kill and destroy, but I have come so that you may have life, and they would have it more abundantly."

It's a lovely book, and has given me much to think and pray about already. Definitely worth being Book of the Week. :)

0 comments: