Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Yoga Pants and Going Vegan

Recently we went shopping and I spotted a pair of yoga pants on clearance. I was looking for a good pair of workout pants for running, biking, pilates, and yoga (go figure). We just figured my old sweats would do, but when these were on sale, I "branched" out and bought them.

Wow. It was a great purchase. These are the most comfortable pants I've ever worn in my whole life. I find myself wearing them just around the house and mourning when they're in the wash. I'm not sure if all yoga pants are this comfortable, or just this particular pair, but wow... what made me wait so long to buy them?

In fact, I'm wearing them right now. Ah, the comfort.

So I love my yoga pants, and what else do I love? Food. I really do like my food and so does my family, thankfully. Normally we agree on what do eat, but we've been in a bit of a tug of war as of late. L loves his meat. E does not. In fact, this kid doesn't like meat, milk, eggs, cheese (unless it's in grilled cheese). Yet she pretty much loves all things fruit, veggies and grains, which I am very glad about.

In an effort to experiment, I've tried making some meatless meals (for a variety of reasons, not just the kiddo factor), and L will eat it, but makes comments like "this would be better with chicken", and E will eat it. Then I make meals with meat and E won't eat it. I'm exaggerating a bit on L's part (he eats whatever I put in front of him), but certainly not on E's. She will not eat meat.

My main concern for her newly turned vegan ways is that she's not getting the calcium and protein she needs. Fortunately, she does eat cottage cheese and yogurt... and sometimes she'll eat turkey bacon and sausage (which I'm not sure I want her to eat). She loves smoothies, so we alternate between green smoothies and our traditional yogurt smoothie.

I'm guessing that much of her distaste is texture related, so we'll continue doing some experimentation until we find some that fit. At some point she has to come around to our carnivorous ways, right?

5 comments:

Sheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mommy of Four said...

where did you get the pants? I need some comfy ones. Three babies does quite a number on your thighs, hips, and tummy. Jeans are no longer my friend:(

Sheri said...

Hey Kayla -

I got my pants at Dunham's, but you can probably find them anywhere. We're a little more limited in our shopping capabilities here. :)

They are the most amazing pants though. So comfy. :)

Mommy of Four said...

Hmmm....maybe I'll go there today:)

did you remember to add 1 c milk, 1 c sugar, and 1 c flour to the dough????

Sheri said...

Sure did! I can't wait to taste the bread - it sounds yummy!