Monday, October 5, 2009

Another Frugal Post

All right, it's time for another frugal food post. Mostly to remind myself to be more efficient with the money God has blessed us with. L and I do believe that food helps heal and keep our bodies healthy, so it's important to eat the proper food. Hence, we are willing to pay more for fruits and veggies, and some organic items.

This is the first time in five or six years that I have cooked a whole chicken. I am certainly going to do this more often - it is so cheap, and talk about efficient with time. My first attempt at doing this was when we first got married, and well, I grossed out. So grossed out that L had to eat the whole chicken himself.

Well, I found this recipe (thanks, Elizabeth!), and decided to give it another go, since we had two whole chickens sitting in our freezer, waiting to be eaten. It was good. L had to do much of the work, but it was worth it. We have enough chicken for the week! We can have chicken sandwiches, enchiladas, salads (my lunch today), chicken/rice/potatoes/veggies, stir fry... the possibilities are endless.

In addition, we even used the bones of the chicken to make a stock for soups and to flavor other dishes. Not bad for $5, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm doing another whole chicken this week!

Mommy of Four said...

So, Pampered Chef has this deep baking dish--and in my kit it came with a recipe to cook a whole chicken in it--IN THE MICROWAVE!!!! I have not yet done it, because I didn't get that dish with my kit, but my friend did--and it was DIVINE! Soooo moist and YUMMY! And all she did was throw spices on it and throw it in the microwave! I have a few in my deep freeze, but only cooked one, and I had no idea what I was doing, so the others still sit while I wait for my dish :) When I get it, you should try it sometime!

Sheri said...

Kayla -

I don't think our microwave would fit a whole chicken in it... it's pretty small. Also, I'm a little skeptical about cooking in the microwave. We use it every now and then to reheat meals, but that's about it. I question the safety of it.

But for sure, cooking a whole chicken was so much easier. :)

Mommy of Four said...

You know, I never even thought of that. I have never even known of a way to cook food in the microwave until now, so I have always only used it for reheating as well. I did look some stuff up on it last night for awhile--I found enough to make me a little wary of using it to cook. If for no other reason, the fact that it zaps up to 90% of the vitamns from veggies! Also most of the B12 from meat. Interesting. Oh well. Hopefully they will come up with something that avoids those side effects with all of this modern-day technology.