Friday, February 6, 2009

Let's Talk Baby Stuff

Well now that we're inching closer to our third trimester of pregnancy, I've been trying to find some second hand items that we're in need of for the babe. I've been going through some our baby items and seeing what we have and what we'll need.

First up: diapers. We had mostly what we needed, but I have some girly dipes that I got for a steal online, which won't really work for a little guy. So, I found an amazing local diaper lot for a pretty reasonable price, and these will grow with the kiddo.

Let me say this: I love cloth diapers. And I love bargains even more. And for some reason having this diaper lot makes me breathe easier about baby coming.

Also, one of the other necessities in life is clothing. This is pretty easy. A local thrift store is doing half off all clothing this week. Yes, I stocked up. Baby clothing should not be expensive.

I feel like we have everything else that we really need. Maybe a couple of things here and there that we'll be on the look out for at thift shops or garage sales.

As far as emotionally readiness, I'm not sure you ever get there. E challenged me in ways I wasn't expecting, which was frustrating at first, but have since relaxed. I don't care if this kiddo would rather take his thumb than a pacifier (like E), or would rather co-sleep than sleep anywhere else (like E), or would prefer a cup to a bottle at an oddly young (in my opinion) age (also like E). And no, I don't even mind if this kiddo wants to breastfeed longer than I want to (also like E).

I'm trying to let go of all expectations, and look forward to seeing this little guy's own little personality shine through, and enjoy him. Makes life a little easier and more pleasant for everyone, I think.

With that said, any moms of more than one kiddo have advice for me? I'm assuming it's a learning curve just like with the first, yes?

7 comments:

knittingma said...

It's definitely an adjustment, having two kiddos. But I thought it was *way* more challenging when J was born. For me, it was much more difficult to adjust to having one child than it was to have two kids. I think others have told me the same.

I think the biggest challenge is when both the kids want my attention at the same time. J doesn't yet understand why R needs to be held more, etc. It's worked well for us to try to take J on errands, etc by himself (because J thinks it's *so* special to be in the car, and then J gets to do some special stuff without R). J is definitely less attached to me now, because I have to spend so much more time with R. This made me sad at first, but I think it's also healthy for J to mature more, too.

Hey, when are you due again? Good to hear you're getting things set already. You're a planner, girl! :)

Sheri said...

Good advice, B! Once babe is born we'll have to find some special E time, too.

We're due May 21. Thanks for the encouragement.... I feel so far behind for some reason compared to pregnancy with E. Maybe because I'm busy with a toddler? :)

kristin said...

all i can say is get cable. seriously it will be your saving grace. you will need it when you're nursing the new babe and you don't want your older one to get into trouble. seriously- i know E.

and of course i'm jokin. o's only watched a total of like 4 shows and a football game with my eye on him.

i think that what b said is true. you never know what you're going to get- and #2 is way easier for us too, but i hear that isn't always the case. going for walks with a double stroller was seriously my favorite part. that's why i REALLY want some warmer weather. fresh air is the best remedy to a day full of whining or cryin' kids. you love 'em, and God shows you how to continue to express that daily.

Mommy of Four said...

Well, honestly, you'll figure it out as you go. Each person's experience is different, and each kid's personality is different, Jadon was the kid that did NOT adjust well to no longer being mamma's only babe. Amberly, on the other hand, dove into the big sister role right away. The hardest part for me in going from one to two was trying to not make Jadon feel like he was taking the backseat to the new baby, while at the same time, still being able to pay attention to the new one. Amberly really spent the majority of her first year in the exersaucer and baby swing, because Jadon really did NOT adjust well. You just make due with what you can. It's hard, but it's worth it. If I could have chosen when the 2nd baby would have come, though, I would have chosen for her to have come when Jadon was older. But alas...that's not how my body worked :)

Coloring books, washable finger paints, and movies will be a life-saver when you're trying to nurse. That was our biggest challenge. And when baby is down for a nap and E is still awake, it's a good time to do puzzles or read books together...make sure she knows that she didn't lose her mamma.

Sheri said...

Okay, so...

cable. check.
double stroller. Look for this. :)

I think part of the wonderment of having kiddos is that they are so different. I know what works with E may not work for #2, especially since it's a boy and is wired differently.

We'll have to be more cognizant of giving E that special time together as much as we can. I think she's going to be a great big sis. She's kinda bossy to other kiddos already, so it's like she's got the role down pat. :)

Thanks for the advice, Ladies. Say a prayer for us! :)

Sara said...

Hey Sheri,
Are you taking the Birthing Wisdom class at Northern Michigan Hospital? I did when I was pregnant with Noah and it was just what I was looking for. The techniques I learned made both my birth experiences with Noah and Corbin EXACTLY what I had hoped. I had a very traumatic labor and delivery the first time around, but my last two have been miraculous. The class is loosely based on the book, "Birthing from Within." During the course of the class I was also able to sort through some of the mixed feelings I had about bringing home a new baby and not having as much of me to poor into Fisher. There were so many emotions swirling in my pregnant brain before Noah came along, check my blog entry's from May and June of '06. Let me know if you need anything. I'll be cleaning house of baby stuff shortly.

Sheri said...

Sara - I'm thinking about taking the class. I'm reading "Birthing from Within", and really enjoy the theory behind it.

My birth with E wasn't traumatic, but the drug (stadol) that I received made me very groggy... very strange. I wouldn't use it again.

For me, I felt like it was completely a mental thing. I freaked myself out. If I could strengthen that then perhaps a natural birth would be possible?