Monday, January 19, 2009

Project Connect, Dave, and the Cutie

So the past couple of days have been beautiful. Last week, not so much, but the past couple of days have been great with sunshine. We got outside a played yesterday afternoon, and guess who complained about the cold? The hubby. I just wanted to state that for the record.

And so this post doesn't really have anything to do with the photo, but my kid is cute, so I had to share. :)

Anyway, onto the REAL post. :) Some great news for our local church, friend, and community. Our church has organized a Dave Ramsey class for the past few years (?), and this session has 50 people (which is a lot for our little area) signed up. 75% from the community, only 25% from our church. I'm really proud of our friend, K, who teaches the class. So if anyone is in the Charlevoix/Petoskey area, you should take this class. And kudos to K, and hope this session is transforming.

Also, my boss, who is uber involved in the community, and the "Who's Who" in community organizing in our town, has been planning our second annual "Project Connect". It's Thursday February 5th from 10 am to 6 pm at the Knights of Columbus Hall.

I am INCREDIBLY excited to take part in this event. It's a community wide effort to help those in need. It's kind of a "one stop shop" - hair cuts, tax prep, hot meals, bags of food, blood pressure screenings, free diapers, ASQs (Ages and Stages), joint recruitment for preschool, warm blankets, attire for interviews.... the list goes on. Last year they planned for 150 people, and got over 400. This year they're expecting over 600 people due to the struggling MI economy.

I just love it when our community pulls together to help each other out. As a Christian I just feel like it's our call to serve and love those around us, and this is a practical way to do so. Feel free to pass this info on!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kiddo is cute! :)

We had a financial peace class at our church awhile back and it was a huge hit! I'm glad that the impact of that series impacted people even beyond your church - that's awesome.

And Project Connect sounds incredible. I'd love to know more about that, is there a website? It sounds like something that would be very successful in the Austin area too.

Sheri said...

You know what, Elizabeth? I don't think there is a website, but I'll check into that. I have a flier at work, and will inquire more about it tomorrow or Wednesday.

Here's an article in our local paper, though:

http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles/2009/01/09/news/doc496757b9216d9179695175.txt

I can imagine what sort of involvement or difference you could make in an urban area, though! Let me know if you organize anything in your area. :)

Anonymous said...

It really could make a huge difference. I just read the article and looked at the pdf that it had and began thinking of people that I know that might be able to donate their services. . . It would be incredible to organize something like this in Austin - we have a huge homeless and needy population because the county we live in is one of the few that allow panhandling and offer services to the needy. Oh the ideas are brewing! Thank you for sharing!