Thursday, July 17, 2008

Green Smoothies

Oh, and since my kiddo is taking a long nap, I thought I'd post the smoothie she's been drinking the past few days. Our pediatrician recently suggested that E be tested for anemia, as her sleeping patterns have gotten especially long at times. His main concern was that she doesn't like meat, and therefore, isn't getting enough iron. Thankfully the test came back that her levels were normal, but it still caused me to think perhaps we needed to focus on increasing her iron intake.

So I've been trying to stuff anything with iron into her. So far she's been a good sport. :) Her favorite thing has been a green smoothie that I make for her each day. I know that it sounds gross, but really, it's good, and you don't even taste the spinach.

Here are the ingredients:

Spinach (or any green leafy green such as kale, romaine lettuce, etc)
Blueberries to taste and change the color
Banana
Pear
Water
Ice

Just place it all in a blender and mix until smooth. Green Smoothies are so good for you, and we've been lucky to get a lot of local spinach lately. They help curb your sugar craving, and are full of great nutrients.

Don't knock it unless you try it. :)

10 comments:

Steph said...

Thanks for the idea - my daughter doesn't eat meat either and I've been anemic in the past myself, we'll have to give it a try!

Mommy of Four said...

brown rice is always a good way to add iron, too. And you can always grind it up and cook it to hide it in things the babe will eat!

Sheri said...

Brown rice is a good idea as E likes stir fry, believe it or not. We've been doing a lot of beans, smoothies, and she's starting eating some all beef hot dogs we found at our Health Food Store. So we shall see if it makes a difference....

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found you from my blog and have been reading your posts for a good portion of the evening. I was amazed how many similarities we have and will definately be back daily. I know you asked about canning and I can just about every fruit for jam. I do peach, raspberry, strawberry and blueberry as well as can the fruit alone (to use in cobblers etc) I also freeze berries for smoothies and just to eat on cereal. I do all kinds of relish, mustard pickles, sweet and sour pickles etc and will be starting to pressure can this year (so I can safely can by low acid veggies (peas, beans,carrots) I will keep posting on this as it really is a lost art that is quickly making a comeback...could it be the rising cost of everything?? Think so. Take care.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

ohhhh-I've had these. They are yum!

knittingma said...

Hey--how come I never knew you had this blog??? You've been over to mine so many times, and you always leave comments as "anonymous." Maybe you didn't want me to stalk your blog? Well ha! I've outsmarted you. :)

I absolutely love your header. Your little lady is so completely adorable, I can't stand it. I'm hoping for a girl this time, but I'll be happy with either (obviously). We miss you guys! We're hoping to come up for a week soon--maybe we can all get together?

How's that for a super long comment? :)

Jennifer said...

You should know that i am on here to double ckeck that i have all the right ingredients as i am making this green smoothie for Z as soon as i am done typing this, Lets hope he likes it!! i'll let you know!

Mommy of Four said...

Yeah, I made this the first time you gave me the recipe, and I added WAY too much spinach. NOT a good thing! It looked like Denae's diapers! Amberly sucked down a glass as I gagged watching. Lesson learned. Next time I won't add the ENTIRE package of frozen spinach.

Sheri said...

Yes, a whole package of spinach is too much (unless you like the taste). I just use a couple of handfuls of fresh spinach, and that's plenty.

You can play around with the ingredients until you find the blend you like. I just know that bananas, blueberries, and pears are our kiddo's favorite.