Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Dirty Dozen

As most of you know from my blog, we've been trying to eat healthier around here. I try to focus on meals that are heavy in veggies and whole grains. We have our good and bad days, for sure. I came across a list several months ago while doing "research" on eating healthier, and the debate between organic vs. non-organic.

This list covers what items you should buy with the label "organic". The U.S. Department of Agriculture found that even after washing, some food items still have high levels of pesticide residue on them.

"The Dirty Dozen":
  • Apples
  • Cherries
  • Grapes, imported (Chili)
  • Nectarines
  • Peaches
  • Pears
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Bell peppers
  • Celery
  • Potatoes
  • Spinach
Beef, poultry, and milk are also items that you might consider buying organic.

This is a list of items that don't need to have the label "organic" to be "safe":
  • Bananas
  • Kiwi
  • Mangos
  • Papaya
  • Pineapples
  • Asparagus
  • Avocado
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Corn
  • Onions
  • Peas
The cost of organic food is still high, so we really pick and choose what we buy organic. Personally I would love to buy organic milk and meat, but the pricing is outrageous in my opinion. So, we try to use the items "sparingly". That's why I'm hoping to buy in bulk or take part in U-Picks and with the CSA, hoping to dodge some of the cost of organic food. A lot of the time, though, I just can't bring myself to pay what organic food costs (though sometimes there are deals, and we "stock up"). I do the bulk of my shopping in the product section, hoping to avoid at least the preservatives that they add to boxed and prepared foods.

7 comments:

Mommy of Four said...

When the organic meijer milk goes on sale, it can get to be pretty cheap. I've often found it to be cheaper than the regular milk, so I buy organic instead! Did you know, though, that if you get 2% milk or higher, you can freeze it? Now that you have a chest freezer, I'd highly recommend it. That's what we do around here.

Also, because not everyone can afford to buy their fruits and veggies organic, there is a way to get most if not all of the pesticides off. It's a water/white vinegar mixture...I can't remember the portions...I can't find my article that says how to mix it up, but you mix it up in a spray bottle, spray and let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse. I'll let you know if I can find it.

Sheri said...

I'd say that organic milk is never cheaper than the non organic up here. Sometimes I do buy the organic for E, though and just eat the cost.

From some research I've read "raw" milk is actually healthier than both both organic and non-organic milk. Of course it's illegal to sell it in certain states (MI being one of them).

Right now L and I are discussing how we want to approach the meat. We might just some chicken in bulk, and continue to use it sparingly.

Sheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheri said...

I used to have those measurements, but I can't find it now, so if you could post it, that would be great. Thanks!

Sheri said...

And I did know that you could freeze milk, but a couple people have told me that it doesn't take the same, so we've never done it.

Mommy of Four said...

it tastes the same as long as it's 2% or higher.

I'll look for that article tonight. Today is the craziest busy day I've had in a LONG time.

kristin said...

i have noticed that my tongue tends to burn when i eat celery that isn't organic. maybe that can be part of the dirty dozen. the dirty bakers dozen.