Monday, June 16, 2008

Locally Grown Food = Healthier?



Yesterday was our first meeting regarding our CSA (Community Shared Agriculture). Our CSA is unique that it's a working farm - meaning everyone has to volunteer every week. This allows the cost to be much cheaper than a typical CSA. I'll chat more about this later, but we had a round robin discussion of what made us choose to join the farm.

Someone said that they read something unique, and it caused them to join. They read that our bodies are designed in such a way that it requires the nutrients found in our local climate. That foods that can be grown in locally are more important to us than foods that can be grown in a different climate structure, as our bodies are craving the "local" nutrients.

Now, I don't know how much validity there is to that statement - I'd have to do more research on that. Still, I couldn't help but wonder if that is how God created our bodies to survive and thrive. And really, it just made me shake my head in wonder of how amazing our God really is, to make everything work in sync. Only a God with an abundance of power could make everything work so beautifully. It's just awe-inspiring.

The photo above really doesn't have anything to do with the above post, except that God also created beautiful landscapes for us to enjoy. Just another bit of awesome-ness from our Father.

4 comments:

~Laura~ said...

Hey there,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your sweet words touched my heart. The purpose of my blog is to not only journal the journey to bring home our daughter but to also please the Father by making others aware of His heart for orphans. I've been really convicted lately about how I talk about my heart for the people of Africa but what am I doing about it. Especially right now while the conditions in Africa are so desperate. A passion for HIS people is something that God is birthing in me more and more every day. Anyways, thanks for stopping by & I hope you'll continue reading as we get closer and closer to bringing home a very special little girl from Ethiopia.

God Bless!

~Laura

Mommy of Four said...

I love your new default blog title picture! I have the cutest little niece in the whole entire world!! (except for my kids, of course...they are someone else's cutest:) )

Yes, I am biased, and proud of it :)

Sheri said...

Thanks. :) I'm pretty much in love with her. L took the photo over the weekend, and I am loving all of the beach pictures.

Sarah Mansur said...

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog!!!