Thursday, May 15, 2008

Food and Frugality

As this week is devoted to all things food, the topic of eating healthful meals on the cheap is something I think a lot about. Sometimes it seems like healthy and cheap are polar opposites, especially now that we have a kiddo to think about. Over the past year or so, our eating habits have definitely changed for the better, but we still have further to go. A few years ago we spent very little on produce, and would spend much of my shopping trip in the middle aisles of the store. Now I hardly go to the middle aisles unless we're out of the staples.

We are willing to spend a little more on food if it's healthy food, but there is a line that needs to be drawn at some point, right? Here are some ways we've tried to keep food healthy on the cheap, and some ways I *wish* I could.

1. Cutting out pre-packaged foods and cooking from scratch. Now all meal, desserts, etc. are done by hand. It is more time consuming this way, but it's a relief knowing what's (and what's not) in your food.

2. Going meatless or nearly meatless as often as possible. I'm almost willing to become vegetarian just to save the cash. I'd LOVE to switch over to all natural, organic meat, but it's SO expensive. One way would be to incorporate meat sparingly. Anyway, less meat often means less cost.

3. I have been pretty lucky to find produce (strawberries, green peppers, mango, bananas, avocado) when it's marked down, almost ready to be tossed. I take the produce home and freeze it. Thank God for our little chest freezer.

4. Soup, soup and more soup. Actually we're not soup lovers (despite my last post), but I try to incorporate it every now and then. It's cheap and healthy for you. I should do it more.

5. Buying oatmeal in bulk. We're trying to cut down/out cereal (now only L eats it regularly), and oatmeal is a great alternative.

6. Buying what is on sale, as far as produce goes. Use frozen fruits/veggies whenever possible.

7. U-pick farms. I'm looking forward to picking our own fruit in bulk and freezing for the rest of the year when the fruit is more expensive and not as tasty.

8. Cooking what's in our refrigerator before it goes back. I'm still working on this one.

9. Drinking more water and less juice/soda/dairy. It's free this way.

10. Being more creative with meals - also something I'm just starting to get the hang of. Using what's on hand as a substitution as opposed to running to the store.

I feel like we're getting there, but it takes much more meal planning and list writing than before, and well, organization is not my forte. :) Thankfully as a stay at home mom, I can spend a little more time in the kitchen, preparing food for the family. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice tips, with the economy the way it is, more than ever we have to start cutting back. Also knowing what we eat is far better than relying on packaged foods. Have you figured out a meal plan that works for you? I signed up for your feeds. Keep up the great stuff.

Sheri said...

No, and your site has been great for that. I'm terrible at meal planning. Terrible. I'm hanging my head in shame over how terrible it is. :)

It's definitely been one area we REALLY need to step up.