Thursday, January 17, 2008

Permeating Everything

"The LORD our God, the LORD is one. 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."

Deut. 6:4-9

I love the imagery and the symbolism in these verses. God is supposed to permeate every area of our lives.... our relationship with Christ should be as natural as breathing. We should wake up thinking about Him and go to sleep whispering His name. And I wonder. Can others see that God is written on the doorframe of our house? Can others smell the aroma of Christ when they interact with me?

I feel so humbled and challenged as I read those verses again and again. Oh, Lord, may our house permeate You and Your Word. May You always be in our thoughts... May we speak together night and day... May You be the focus of our home....

"7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. "

This verse really hits home, as mother to a little girl. It also makes me chuckle. The other day, E and I went for a walk. We (okay, I) was singing "Jesus Loves Me", and talking about how God made all the trees and the snow, and how she was made "special".

Inwardly, I was asking God to encourage me in some way... it was a lonely day (long story). Walking toward me was another family, and as common courtesy, I stopped to say hi. Somehow we started talking about how we were both from downstate, where L was working (and where they were working)... and he (T) was carrying a Bible. We started chatting away....

And walking away from conversing with them, I was so encouraged. It just surprised me that God would hear that simple prayer and choose to answer it - so quickly! And so, that's what E and I chatted about on the way home. It was mostly for my benefit, as E probably doesn't know what I was babbling about.

Still, I think that if it becomes habit to chat and talk about God in everyday language, in everyday moments, perhaps it'll "stick", and become written on her heart, and thus, one day give her the ability to chat about Him in the same way.

Oh, dear Lord, please permeate every aspect of our lives. How we act, how we speak, how we interact with others, how I serve my family - L and E, how we parent, what we watch, how we serve the body of Christ, how we minister to those who don't know You, permeate EVERYTHING.

0 comments: